There are multiple Post Office Schemes to choose from but which scheme will give you high returns? What are the interest rates of best Post Office Schemes? We will check in this post.
Some of the best Post Office Schemes with High Returns include PPF (Public Provident Fund), SSY (Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana) and SCSS (Senior Citizen Saving Scheme). PPF is a government backed saving scheme for everyone with 7.1% interest rate, SSY is for a girl child with 8.0% interest rate and SCSS scheme helps senior citizens to get good returns with 8.2% interest rate in a year.
Note that mentioned interest rates are applicable for April 2023 to June 2023, subjected to be reviewed every quarter by government of India.
Post Office Schemes with High Returns Video
PPF (Public Provident Fund)
Below are some features are benefits of PPF:
- PPF full form is Public Provident Fund. It is a government backed saving scheme with a lock in period of 15 years
- Which means once you open PPF account, you have to keep it active for next 15 years
- Minimum amount to be deposited in PPF is Rs. 500 in FY to keep the account active
- Maximum amount that can be deposited in PPF is Rs. 1.5 Lacs in FY to get maximum interest
- You can open PPF account in any nationalized bank or post office
- Current interest rate in PPF is 7.1% per annum (as of June 2023)
- Interest rates are reviewed every quarter by Government of India
- You get Tax Benefits in PPF under Section 80C
- Maximum Rs. 1.5 Lacs can be claimed as deduction in Section 80C after you deposit in PPF
- Also, the interest amounts and maturity amount earned in PPF are tax free
Use the PPF Calculator below to check how much interest you can get in Public Provident Fund:
Use the above calculator to know how much interest you can get in PPF if you invest over 15 years.
SSY (Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana)
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is another good Post Office Scheme for a girl child. Below are some features and benefits:
- Attractive interest rate of 8.0%, that is fully exempt from tax under section 80C.
- Minimum Rs. 1000 can be invested in one financial year (April to March)
- Maximum investment of Rs. 1,50,000 can be made in one financial year (April to March)
- If the minimum amount of Rs 250/- is not deposited in any financial year, a penalty of Rs 50/- will be charged
- Deposits in an account can be made till completion of 14 years, from the date of opening of the account
- The account shall mature on completion of 21 years from the date of opening of the account, provided that where the marriage of the account holder takes place before completion of such period of 21 years, the operation of the account shall not be permitted beyond the date of her marriage
- Passbook will be issued to customers
- Withdrawal Facility
- To meet the financial requirements of the account holder for the purpose of higher education and marriage, account holder can avail partial withdrawal facility after attaining 18 years of age.
- If the beneficiary is married before maturity of account, account has to be closed.
- Monthly interest is calculated and compounding frequency is annual
- You can open a maximum of 2 accounts in a family
Use the SSY Calculator below to check how much interest you can get in Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana:
Use the above calculator to know how much interest you can get in Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana if you invest over long term.
SCSS (Senior Citizen Saving Scheme)
SCSS or Senior Citizen Saving Scheme is another Post Office Scheme with high returns for Senior citizens in India.
Below are some features and benefits of SCSS:
- SCSS or Senior Citizen Saving Scheme is for the senior citizens of India – Age 60 years or above
- It helps you get quarterly interest payout after every quarter based on the principal amount you deposit and interest rate
- The current interest rate in SCSS is 8.2% for the quarter April 2023 – June 2023
- So for example, you deposit Rs. 1 Lakh in SCSS, at 8.2% interest rate, you will get Rs. 2050 as quarterly interest payout
- SCSS tenure is 5 years, and you can extend it with a block of 3 years as well
- You get Income Tax Benefits under Section 80C with SCSS account – maximum Rs. 1.5 Lakh can be claimed in a financial year
- The interest rate provided in SCSS is highest compared to any other Post Office saving scheme
- SCSS is an effective and long-term saving option which offers security and added features that are usually associated with any government-sponsored savings
- Senior Citizen Saving scheme is available through certified banks and post offices across India
Use the SCSS Calculator below to check how much interest you can get in Senior Citizen Saving Scheme:
Use the above calculator to know how much interest you can get in Senior Citizen Saving Scheme if you invest over long term.
Which scheme is best in post office?
So we have seen some of the best Post Office Schemes with High Returns currently. Now which Post Office Scheme is best for you?
It depends on your age group and gender.
For a girl child with given eligibility, Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is best for long term goal. Also for a girl child PPF can be opened as well for long term savings.
For a boy child, PPF is the best option or even if you are a teenager, you can open Public Provident Fund account for long term goals or for retirement.
And if you are a senior citizen, you can open Senior Citizen Saving Scheme in post office and enjoy periodic returns during your retirement phase.
Comment below the post office scheme you are investing in or want to know more about.
Download Post Office Schemes Excel Calculators
You can also download the Excel calculator for various Post office schemes using the links below:
- Public Provident Fund Excel Calculator
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Excel Calculator
- Senior Citizen Saving Scheme Excel Calculator
So these are some of the best Post Office Schemes with High Returns.
PPF gives us 7.1% interest rate, SSY gives 8.0% and SCSS gives 8.2% interest rate currently for April 2023 to June 2023 quarter. Note that these interest rates are subjected to be reviewed and updated by government of India in every quarter.
Some more Reading:
- Rs. 10,000 FD Interest Calculation
- Credit Card vs Debit Card Difference in India
- Income Tax Calculator 2023-24 Excel Calculator
- Old vs New Tax Regime which is Better
You can Donate Too!
Found this Helpful? DONATE any amount to see more useful Content. Scan below QR code using any UPI App!
UPI ID: abhilashgupta8149-1@okhdfcbank
Verify that you are “Paying Abhilash Gupta” before making the transaction so that it reaches me. It makes my Day 🙂
Thank you for Donating. Stay Tuned!
Income Tax Calculator App – FinCalC
For Income Tax Calculation on your mobile device, you can Download my Android App “FinCalC” which I have developed for you to make your income tax calculation easy.
What you can do with this mobile App?
- Calculate Income Tax for new FY 2023-24 and previous FY 2022-23
- Enter estimated Investments to check income tax with Old and New Tax Regime
- Save income tax details and track regularly
- Know how much to invest more to save income tax
- More calculators including PPF, SIP returns, Savings account interest and lot more
Use Popular Calculators:
- Income Tax Calculator
- Home Loan EMI Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- PPF Calculator
- HRA Calculator
- Step up SIP Calculator
- Savings Account Interest Calculator
- Lump sum Calculator
- FD Calculator
- RD Calculator
- Car Loan EMI Calculator
I’d love to hear from you if you have any queries about Personal Finance and Money Management.
JOIN Telegram Group and stay updated with latest Personal Finance News and Topics.
Download our Free Android App – FinCalC to Calculate Income Tax and Interest on various small Saving Schemes in India including PPF, NSC, SIP and lot more.
Follow the Blog and Subscribe to YouTube Channel to stay updated about Personal Finance and Money Management topics.