I have PPF Account in SBI and you can use below link to download SBI PPF Calculator Excel Sheet and track your monthly PPF interest on regular basis similar to many Indians. You can also us this online PPF calculator to check your monthly and yearly PPF interest.
Note: In the above google drive path, choose the option to Download the excel calculator on your computer or mobile phone, so that you can edit the file as a local copy. This PPF Excel Calculator will help you to check your monthly PPF interest with your existing balance and deposits before and after 5th day of the month.
You can also use the online PPF calculator anytime by using below calculator link. Bookmark the PPF calculator in your browser to use it instantly:
PPF Calculator Excel Sheet Video
As explained above, you can easily use PPF calculator excel sheet to calculate monthly interest and yearly compounding in PPF.
There are various Features of PPF account including:
- Government-backed saving scheme with a lock in period of 15 years
- Interest rates are reviewed on quarterly basis. Current PPF interest rate is 7.1% annually
- You get monthly interest and yearly compounding in PPF
- Minimum deposit amount in a FY to keep your PPF account active is Rs. 500
- Maximum deposit amount for which you can earn interest in PPF account is Rs. 1,50,000
- PPF or Public Provident Fund falls under EEE category (Exempt, Exempt, Exempt), which means, the Deposits, Interest and Maturity Amounts are all exempted from Income Tax.
So it is a great scheme that helps you save your hard earned money, while gaining additional interest amounts and Income Tax Benefits.
How to use PPF Calculator Excel Sheet?
Let us understand how you can use the PPF calculator excel sheet attached above. Below are the steps:
- Download the PPF Excel Calculator
- Provide existing Balance in case you already have a PPF account or else keep it as 0. Let’s assume we have balance of Rs. 50,000 currently:
- Next we can provide the deposits we have made in the months displayed in column B. Let’s assume we make Rs. 10,000 deposit on 6th May and 4th July respectively. So we adjust column D (Before 5th) accordingly as shown below:
- As seen above, for deposit on 6th May which is After 5th, we get interest from June month onwards, and for deposit on 4th July that is before 5th day, we get interest from July month onwards.
- The interest is calculated on balance of PPF on or before 5th day of month which we we will see below in interest formula section.
So it is important that when you deposit in PPF, you deposit on or before 5th day of month to get more interest amount when you already have the funds to deposit.
Watch below video to know how to maximize PPF Interest
What is the formula to calculate PPF Interest?
Let us now understand formula to calculate PPF interest which is very simple:
Monthly Interest = Monthly Interest Rate * Balance on or before 5th day of month / 100– PPF monthly interest Formula
Let’s apply this formula for above screenshot of deposits made:
For April month, Balance = Rs. 50,000, monthly interest rate = 7.1% / 12 = 0.5916%
So monthly interest = 0.5916% * Rs. 50,000 / 100 = Rs. 295.83
Below is the table showing balance on or before 5th day of month and their monthly interest calculations accordingly:
|Months||Balance on 5th day||Monthly Interest Rate||Monthly Interest|
|April||Rs. 50,000||0.5916%||Rs. 295.83|
|May||Rs. 50,000||0.5916%||Rs. 295.83|
|June||Rs. 60,000||0.5916%||Rs. 355|
|July||Rs. 70,000||0.5916%||Rs. 414.16|
|August||Rs. 50,000||0.5916%||Rs. 414.16|
Note: As explained in video, compounding in PPF happens on annual basis which means, interest earned throughout the year in PPF up to march will be added to your balance, on which you will earn more interest in upcoming years.
How much you will get after 15 years in PPF?
After 15 years in PPF, if you consistently deposit maximum Rs. 1.5 Lakh every year on or before 5th April, you will get total maturity amount = Rs. 3944599.
Below is the table showing some more stats about PPF maturity amounts on 15 years and more if you extend PPF account, considering you make maximum deposits in the month of April on or before 5th day:
|Tenure||Total Deposits||Total Amount||Returns|
|15 Years||Rs. 22,50,000||Rs. 39,44,599||Rs. 16,94,599|
|20 Years||Rs. 30,00,000||Rs. 64,55,980||Rs. 34,55,980|
|25 Years||Rs. 37,50,000||Rs. 99,94,812||Rs. 62,44,812|
|30 Years||Rs. 45,00,000||Rs. 1,49,81,444||Rs. 1,04,81,444|
Note that we have considered consistent interest rate of 7.1% per annum for calculations. Real numbers might differ slightly considering PPF interest rates are reviewed on quarterly basis.
Watch this video to know calculations when interest rates changes:
Can you have 2 PPF Accounts?
No. Only one PPF account can be maintained by an Individual, except an account that is opened on behalf of a minor.
Can you invest more than Rs. 1.5 Lakh in PPF?
Maximum Rs. 1.5 Lakh can be invested in PPF above which, the amounts will not be considered for interest calculation purpose. Also read this article on PPF to solve more queries.
You can Donate Too!
Found this Helpful? DONATE any amount to see more useful Content. Scan below QR code using any UPI App!
UPI ID: abhilashgupta8149-1@okhdfcbank
Verify that you are “Paying Abhilash Gupta” before making the transaction so that it reaches me. It makes my Day 🙂
Thank you for Donating. Stay Tuned!
Income Tax Calculator App – FinCalC
For Income Tax Calculation on your mobile device, you can Download my Android App “FinCalC” which I have developed for you to make your income tax calculation easy.
What you can do with this mobile App?
- Calculate Income Tax for new FY 2022-23 and previous FY 2021-22
- Enter estimated Investments to check income tax with Old and New Tax Regime
- Save income tax details and track regularly
- Know how much to invest more to save income tax
- More calculators including PPF, SIP returns, Savings account interest and lot more
Some more Reading
Use Popular Calculators:
- Income Tax Calculator
- Home Loan EMI Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- PPF Calculator
- HRA Calculator
- Step up SIP Calculator
- Savings Account Interest Calculator
- Lump sum Calculator
- FD Calculator
- RD Calculator
- Car Loan EMI Calculator
I’d love to hear from you if you have any queries about Personal Finance and Money Management.
JOIN Telegram Group and stay updated with latest Personal Finance News and Topics.
Download our Free Android App – FinCalC to Calculate Income Tax and Interest on various small Saving Schemes in India including PPF, NSC, SIP and lot more.
Follow the Blog and Subscribe to YouTube Channel to stay updated about Personal Finance and Money Management topics.